Friday, December 14, 2012

Noodle Clusters {12 Days of Christmas Treats}

Christmas Treats Title

These Noodle Cluster thingies are my husband's favorite Christmas treat.  Honestly, I'd never had them until I met him and was introduced to his family.  HE claims it just isn't Christmas without them and since his Mom gave me the recipe I figured I better make him some.

Haystacks (15)

I did make some alterations to her recipe.  No way was I melting the chips over the stove.  Just.  No.  That's what microwaves are for.  It also called for peanuts.  Hmm, how about some peanut butter instead?  Yum, peanut butter!  I guess if you really like biting into nuts you could use chunky peanut butter instead or add in some chopped peanuts.

Haystacks (26)

I have found out that these are also called Haystacks in some circles.  I just find it weird that something that is usually a Chop Suey topping can be transformed into something so sweet and delicious.  Who comes up with these things?

Haystacks (6)

Noodle Clusters are really easy to make.  In a medium sized microwave safe bowl combine all your ingredients. Microwave on 50% power 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until all melty and smooth.

Haystacks (8)

Add in the chow mein noodles and stir to combine.

Haystacks (9)

Drop spoonfuls to cool and harden onto waxed paper.  Then eat till your stuffed!  Or you could share them.  I guess.

Haystacks (21)

Noodle Cluster
adapted from a recipe given to me by Peter's Mom

12 oz chcolate chips
12 oz butterscotch chips
6 oz Chow Mein noodles
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

In microwave safe bowl, combine ingredients.  Melt in microwave at 50% power 1-2 minutes stirring at 30 second intervals until ingredients are melted and smooth.  Add noodles, stirring to coat evenly. Drop by tablespoonful onto wax paper to harden.  Store in airtight container. 


No comments:

Post a Comment