Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Danish Butter Cookies {12 Days of Sweet Treats}

Christmas Treats Title

When I was in the 3rd or 4th grade my Grandma gifted me with an old beat up cookie press.  Kind of like this one but, you know, well loved?

Butter Cookies (31)

I'm not sure why I didn't ask Grandma how to operate the darn thing.  I was pretty independent (still am!)  and I hate asking for help!  Also I was, what, like 8? 9? 10?  Pretty sure my Mom wasn't going to let me do any unsupervised baking.

Butter Cookies (7)

I did have an Easy Bake Oven though.  I distinctly remember trying to figure out this cookie press and attempting to bake cookies in that light bulb powered contraption.  I just created a gooey buttery mess of half cooked dough.  Not that I ever figured out how to make the cookies have any sort of distinct shape at all!

Butter Cookies (13)

This year I decided that I really wanted to learn how to make cookies using a cookie press.  Mostly because I wanted to have a legitimate reason to purchase this sleek looking cookie press I saw at the Target.  Itn't prettay?

Butter Cookies (3)

Using a cookie press is pretty easy.  Getting your dough the right consistency is the hard part!

Butter Cookies (10)

But after a bit of trial and error I managed to push out some lovely flowers and Christmas trees.  If you mess one up just scoop it back up and put it back in the press. 

Butter Cookies (15)

Every cookie press is a little different, so look at the instructions that came with it to figure yours out.  They usually come with a couple recipes too.

Butter Cookies (16)

I was going for the Danish Butter Cookie taste.  I love the cookies that come in the tins this time of year.  They taste exceptionally well with cup of hot chocolate!  This recipe came out pretty close.

Butter Cookies (1)

Danish Butter Cookies
adapted from Nooblet Patissier

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg yolks
1 teaspoons vanilla
2 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

Directions 

In large bowl of electric mixer beat together butter, sugar, and salt until
light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until
smooth. Beat in flour gradually, beating dough until just combined well.

Scrape onto a lightly floured board and knead a few times, just until the dough smooths out.
Turn onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log, wrap up and refrigerate for 30 minutes. 
 
Before baking, preheat the oven to 325°F. Line your baking sheets with parchment.  Fill your cookie press with dough.  Press out desired cookie shape.  Cover in sprinkles if desired.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment