Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving1

This Thanksgiving I decided that I didn't want to make a ton of food even though I really wanted all the traditional trimmings.  I also didn't want a ton of leftovers!  I can only eat so much day old turkey.

Peter and me love the Thanksgiving sandwich that they have at the Earl of Sandwich only around holidays.  It's got all the flavors of Thanksgiving in a convenient sandwich package.

Thanksgiving3

My version came out a bit messy but the taste was spot on.  I made a delicious crockpot turkey using this recipe.  It was the most tender turkey ever.  I bought a small boneless turkey, some boxed stuffing and cranberry sauce in the can.  The turkey recipe I used made a ton of flavorful gravy.

To assemble the sandwich I split a hoagie roll lengthwise, placed some sliced turkey on the bottom, a layer of prepared stuffing, gravy, and some more turkey.  On the top of the roll I spread on some mayo mixed with a little bit of Nature's Seasoning and then the cranberry sauce.  I then smooshed the sandwich together and wrapped it up in some tin foil and put in a warm oven for later.  It was so good!

For a side dish I prepared a salad.  This salad:


It too, was wonderfully delicious!

Thanksgiving4

For dessert I made a sweet potato pie with marshmallow meringue.  Maybe you won't believe me when I say I have never had sweet potato pie but it's a fact.  Also I ate dessert first.  True story.  I'll leave you with the recipe at the end of this blog post.  I combined a couple different recipes trying to get the right combo of flavors.  Sweet potatoes and marshmallows always belong together.

Thanksgiving9

I don't normally like meringue but this stuff was awesome.  I really want to use it for a S'mores dessert of some sort.  It toasted up so pretty.  Just stuck it under the broiler for a few minutes.

After dinner we went out to the movies.  we started doing this last year.  It's wonderful because there isn't a crowd.  It also makes me feel less lonely since all my family lives up north.  We got invited to eat with some of Peter's relatives but since he and our roommate work retail it would have been a rush to eat and get back home so they could go to work.  Black Friday starts earlier and earlier every year.  Very annoying!


Last year we saw Puss in Boots which was hilarious.  This year we saw Wreck it Ralph which was also hilarious.  We pigged out on popcorn and sneaky candy.  Glad I didn't eat a huge Thanksgiving dinner!

After the movie it was nap time, decorate all the things time and then take roommate Jason to work time. Before heading to Target we stopped at Walmart to try to snag some deals.  I wanted Brave and Jason wanted a video game.  We were both SOL.  Walmart was a madhouse, I so glad to hightail it out of that place.  Since there was a camera I wanted from Target we lined up to get inside as Jason walked inside to start his shift. Target was much more organized and security a distinct presence.

source
I snagged this Nikon L310m camera for 1/2 price.  I was worried that I wouldn't get one but there was a whole end cap full of them and it's on sale on-line too.  Was able to pick up Brave for me and Despicable Me for the hubby along with a couple Christmas gifts.  Truthfully, most of our evening was spent waiting in line!  Can't wait to start using that camera though.  Now I won't need tape to keep my batteries from falling out of my camera!

When we got home we were tuckered out and ready to relax in front of the TV.  We decided to watch Despicable Me which is so funny and adorable.  Can I have a minion?

So that's my Thanksgiving!  Hope yours was wonderful and full of food friends and family.  I can't believe it's almost Christmas! 

Thanksgiving6

Sweet Potato Meringue Pie 

2 cups peeled, cooked sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 stick melted butter
2 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup evaporated milk
9-inch unbaked pie crust  
3 egg whites 
Dash of salt 
1 c. marshmallow creme

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the filling, using a mixer, combine the potatoes,the sugar, the butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add the milk and continue to mix. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.

For the meringue, using mixer, beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form; gradually beat in the marshmallow creme. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue onto the pie, forming peaks. Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around.  Bake at 500 degrees F for 3 minutes or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.


2 comments:

  1. The thanksgiving food that you prepared looks delicious, and I’m sure everyone at the dinner loved it too. It’s nice of you to end the post with a useful recipe. My sister is an amazing cook, so I’ve asked her to prepare some delicious dishes for my daughter’s birthday party, which will be next week at the famous LA venue.

    ReplyDelete