Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Quilt for Reilly Sue

ReillysQuilt (1) 

I haven't been doing much cooking lately because I have been super busy with non-food craft projects lately. My brother and his wife just had a baby girl and when they first told me they were expecting I just knew I had to make them something special. 

ReillysQuilt (2) 

I've tried to make quilts in the past. I like the idea of quilt making but seem unable to sew a straight line. It was true in middle school when I struggled to hand sew a doll quilt for a Revolutionary War history project and it is still true today despite access to a wonderful sewing machine, a straight ruler and a rotary cutter.

 ReillysQuilt (3) 

Although the quilting part didn't go down as pretty as I wanted it to be the embroidery did. For some reason I love to embroider. I'm not sure where I picked up this skill. Maybe from reading too many Felicity stories in the American Girl series? Or believing that in order to be a princess one must learn fine needle point skills? So this quilt isn't perfect. I got the pattern from the book Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun embroidery by Aimee Ray.  It had all sorts of beautiful embroidery projects and easy to follow instructions.

 ReillysQuilt (4) 

All I had to do was go to Staples and get the pattern enlarged and trace it on to my fabric. Some of my lettering on Reilly's name isn't to good. I used too many strands of floss! 

 ReillysQuilt (5) 

I did better on her birth date because I did it later on. I couldn't finish the quilt until she was born because I wanted to add her birthday. 

ReillysQuilt (6) 

Reilly Sue was born August 1st on her daddy's birthday. How wonderful is that? He told me that it was the best birthday present ever. 

ReillysQuilt (8) 

I was worried that my quilt was too pink but lucky for me her Momma painted Reilly's room a gorgeous shade of pink.
 
ReillysQuilt (9) 

I finally got to see Reilly last week when I went to Illinois to see all my family and to celebrate my 1 year wedding anniversary. I couldn't get enough of Reilly Sue and can't wait to see her again.

 ReillysQuilt (7) 

It's amazing how much a baby can change month to month. My sister's son Jacob is getting so big too! I keep imagining him as a little baby but he is already in pre-k! I hate living so far away from all my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment