Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Funny Story {Latkes}

Latkes (9)

My roommate and his family is Jewish. He isn't religious or anything but he does respect his family heritage and like to put out his menorah and celebrate Hanukkah. We keep saying we should just celebrate Festivus. So he has Menorah and my husband and I have our Christmas Tree and all is well.


Latkes (4)

Well one year I decided it would be fun to make Jason some latkes (potato pancakes for those not in the know). I love latkes and wanted to see if I could successfully make my own because I had never fried some up.

Latkes (2)

So I make these fantastic latkes. I was able to drain the potatoes really good and we had applesauce to put on them. They were perfect and delicious.

Jason was raving about them and going on about them and wondering why they were so good. I chime in, "Oh! That's because I used bacon grease! Bacon grease makes everything better." Jason just looks at me with this weird, serious expression on his face. Meanwhile my husband is just cracking up. I'm horrified because I realize that OMG! Bacon fat!

Latkes (11)

Oops! I've made a major faux pas. Thankfully, Jason was just messing with me and bursts out laughing. He does eat pork and loves bacon. I.E. he's very loosely Jewish.

Now every time I make latkes he reminds me of this story. He cracks me up! Thank goodness he forgave me and we were able to move on from this incident and peacefully co-exist (as long as their is applesauce for his latkes).  I also refrain from using bacon fat from making these now.

Latkes (24)

The one think I've learned making latkes is too save yourself the hassle of straining the potato shreds and just buy a bag of Simply Potato Hash brown shreds (or it's store brand equivalent). Less messy, very convenient and no wet potato to deal with.

Latkes (28)

Mr. Jason-pants likes his latkes smothered with applesauce and that is the traditional way to serve them. Maybe some sour cream too. I like mine mushed in with a runny fried egg. Yum-o!

Latkes (25)

I also like to add in some fresh chives from my container garden. Of all my herbs that one is the only one to survive our very rainy summer this year.

Latkes (21)

Potato Latkes
from Allrecipes

2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
1 tablespoon grated onion
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying


Place the potatoes in a cheesecloth and wring, extracting as much moisture as possible.

In a medium bowl stir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and salt together.

In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Let drain on paper towels. Serve hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment