Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sweet! Corn. {Sweet Corn Hash}


After strawberry and asparagus season my favorite time of the year is sweet corn season.  Up in the Midwest where I am from originally that meant waiting till about mid summer.  You can find corn but believe me it wasn't good corn.  As we say, "That's fit to feed a hog!".  Just sayin'!

Living down here in central Florida has got me spoiled.  I splurged and bought some corn at the local produce market and was sure I was in for some disappointment.  Holy cow!  That corn was delicious!  So apparently I can get awesome sweet corn a lot earlier down here and for cheap?!



So I have been eating the heck out of corn on the cob around here.  My favorite recipe has got to be Oven Roasted Corn with Honey Chili Butter from the blog Budget Bytes.  So easy to make and since the hubby dislikes corn on the cob, all mine to devour.  I also like corn roasted on the grill.  That's how my daddy taught me to make it best.  But, I live an a tiny apartment and we are not supposed to have grills and it seems like a whole lot of trouble to light the picnic grill up just for me to have a bit of corn.  You know since Peter doesn't eat it at all.


Peter does like corn and will eat it.  He just won't eat it on the cob.  (He also won't eat meat on the bone unless it's ribs.)  I don't blame him.  I too find eating the corn off the cob mildly irritating.  Stringy bits in the teeth and sticky juice flying everywhere. Ick!  I also find getting all the tassles and husk off mighty annoying but with fresh corn that's the price you have to pay, lol!

The best thing to do during cvorn season is buy at ton of it.  Getting at all prepped and then blanch it in some boiling salted water.  Let it cool a bit and then hack all the kernally goodness off.  Place decobbed corn into plastic storage baggies and freeze.  Corn all year, yay!  SO much more flavor than store bought from the can or freezer section.  My Grandma taught me well;)

Of course while the eatin's good, eat it!  This year I stumbled on this gem of a recipe:  Sweet Corn Hash.  The picture just had me drooling.  When I think of hash I usually picture corned beef hash (it's got scallions!) and a congealed mess.


This is far from a greasy congealed mess and fills the kitchen with the most delightful smell.  It has all my favorite things:  sweet corn, potatoes, poached-like eggs and BACON!  It's a one pot meal and very easy to make and doesn't take up a lot of your time.  It's also so filling.  I'm only making half the recipe next time, lol!


Peter ate this all up and the corn was so sweet and yummy!  The eggs were just the way I like 'em too.  A bit runny.  You could cook them longer if that isn't your thing but the runny yolk coating the potatoes taste divine.

I think the only changes I made were using less onion, dried parsley and more bacon. It's pretty adaptable.

Sweet Corn Hash
as seen on The Way the Cookie Crumbles and adapted from Joy the Baker


4 slices bacon, chopped
4 medium red potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
4 ears corn, kernels removed
¼ cup parsley, minced
salt and ground black pepper
4 eggs

In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until almost crisp. While the bacon cooks, put the potatoes in a medium microwave-safe bowl; spoon a couple teaspoons of rendered bacon fat from the skillet into the bowl; stir. Cover the potatoes loosely and microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring twice.

Add the onions and potatoes to the skillet with the bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the corn and most of the parsley. Lower the heat to medium-low. Using the back of a spoon, create 4 wells in the hash. Break one egg into each well; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook, without stirring, until the white is set, about 8 minutes. Garnish with the remaining parsley; serve immediately.

Makes 4 large servings.

1 comment: