Thursday, April 19, 2012

TV Dinners {Salisbury Steak}


When I saw this recipe on the The Pioneer Woman I knew I'd have to make it!  Growing up my most favoritest TV Dinner was always the Banquet Salisbury Steak.  My Great Grandma always seemed to have a couple in her freezer (that and Tyson Chicken Nuggets) and I loved staying over just so I could have that for dinner (and Tyson Chicken Nuggets, lol!).  Usually Mom would let us pick out a frozen dinner for the occasional movie night at home.  It was always a special treat.  I distinctly remember eating Salisbury steak frozen dinner and watching Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure( I also had the cereal and the rad cassette tape holder shaped like the phone booth that came with the cereal).  Occasionally I'd deviate and beg for a kid cuisine lured by the chocolate brownie and sprinkles.  Always regretted it!  That skateboarding penguin was devious liar.  I'm a sucker for penguins (and sprinkles).

My only problems with Ree's recipe is that it is missing two key ingredients needed to make this dish perfect:


Mushrooms, because I love them and they make everything yummy and...


Corn because every single Banquet Salisbury steak meal is served with it.  It was the best corn ever.  Although I do question whether or not as an adult I'd still love that meal.  I know the Lean Cuisine Salisbury steak with it's lame mac & cheese is awful. Hmmm, when I'm feeling bored and daring I'll have to give it a whirl again and let you all know.



The other mandatory side dish is of course mashed potatoes.  That's a no brainer.  Gotta have something to add more gravy too! 

Peter and my roommate hate mushrooms so I cooked my on the side and added them only to my portion.  They also dislike onions as evidenced by the scrapped off onions all over there plates when I went to go rinse out the sink.  *sigh*  I swear they're both eight years old sometimes.  Really can't omit the onions in this dish, it really imparts a lot of flavor.  Mushrooms, though are totally optional.  I understand.  It's a texture issue for some people.  Like my husband.  And my roommate.


Salisbury Steak with Gravy
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

MEAT MIXTURE

1-pound Lean Ground Beef
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
Salt And Pepper

GRAVY

1 whole Onion, Halved And Thinly Sliced (or Diced If You Prefer)
2 cups Beef Broth
4 dashes Worcestershire (additional)
1 Tablespoon Ketchup (additional)
1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
1TBS Corn Starch Mixed With A Little Beef Broth To Make A Thin Paste
Salt And Pepper, to taste
More Broth If Needed For Thinning
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, For Frying
1 Tablespoon Butter, For Frying

Directions

Combine meat ingredients in large bowl until completely incorporated.  (Use your hands, it's easier!)  Form meat mixture into four large patties or six smaller patties.

Heat oil and butter in large frying pan on med-high heat.  Brown meat on both sides and patty is no longer pink in the center.  Remove from frying pan and place in warm oven while making gravy.

Saute onions and mushrooms in same pan you used to fry patties.  Cook on medium heat until golden brown.  Add beef broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and Kitchen Bouquet if using.  Combine a little beef broth to the cornstarch to make a slurry.  Add to gravy.  Continue cooking gravy until reduced and thickened.  Add patties finished gravy.  If gravy is too thick thin with additional beef broth.

Serve with prepared mashed potatoes and buttered whole kernel corn.

Feeds 4-6 people

No comments:

Post a Comment