Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Corndog Muffin

I keep seeing these corn dog muffin things on Pintrest.  I pinned the recipe and then forgot about them.  Then lo and behold my Aunt posts on her facebook that she is making them and even posts pictures.  Her verdict: yummy! I like corn dogs but my husband really really likes corn dogs!  They're a freezer staple around here so this recipe is pretty much guaranteed to be loved by him.  Me, I'm not the keen on the idea.  There just isn't something right about them.  I like my corn dogs on a stick and preferable deep fried or at least extra crispy.  Unlike my husband who will microwave them.  Ew!


Despite my misgiving I decided to give them a chance and bake up a batch myself.  I figure at the very least they will be excellent in my lunch the next day and Peter will love me long time for making him his favorite food.  Also my if my Aunt says they are yummy then they must be.  I just trust her that much.

Well I make them.  And they are okay.  Peter and our roommate ate them up.  Me, I just couldn't.  Do they taste bad?  Absolutely not!  They taste great.  Is it the same as eating a corn dog from the fair, definitely not.  To me they were just too weird.  Is it a muffin?  a corn dog?  a mutant with super powers?  My mind just can't figure it out and thus I am inexplicable unable to eat these things.  They are just too weird for my taste buds.  I actually think it's a texture problem.  I'm not a savory muffin fan.  All muffins are sweet and/or fruity.



I'm hoping if I keep making them I'll get over my fear of them and actually be able to sit down and eat a mess of them.  Peter and roomie really loved them and there were none leftover so I know they are delicious.  I finally make something off of Pintrest and don't like it.  Not fair!

I did have to come up with a better recipe because I don'y buy those little boxes of cornbread mixes anymore.  All the recipes I came across called for that stuff.  Homey don't play that game.  It isn't that much trouble to measure of cornmeal and flour and sugar.  Just sayin'. I did switch out the white granulated sugar for some brown sugar as all the recipes seemed to have that in common.  I think next time I'll add some honey too because we also buy the corn dogs that have the honey in them. The cheese add no flavor whats so ever.  Maybe I needed to add some more or just eliminate it all together. So your call.

Corn Dog Muffins 
adapted from  Tasteofhome


3/4 cup cornmeal

3/4 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

3/4 cup milk

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup cheddar cheese
4 hot dogs cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 400*F

1. To make corn muffin base: In large bowl, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

2.  Stir in cheese and hotdogs.

3. Grease a muffin tin and poor batter into cups until each cup is 2/3 full. Bake about 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.


This recipe made about 12 muffins for me.  I can't remember exactly but I am pretty sure I only used one 12 cup muffin tin.  Hope you like them better than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment