Friday, April 1, 2011

I Hop for French Toast


I hate stale bread and I always end up with quite a lot of stale bread by the end of the week. I’m the only one in the house that eats sandwiches. I only eat them during the work week packed in my lunch tote. I like store bread bought bread because it’s convent, but let’s be honest, it’s not particularly tasty.

Unless it is turned into French toast. I’ve always had the white sandwich bread type of French toast. My favorite recipe recommends thick sliced French bread. I never have French bread just languishing away in my bread box dying to be made into French toast. I’m sure it would make a spectacular French toast but it just seems a waste of awesomely yummy bread (okay, I eat it all before it can become French toast awesomeness, I have no willpower *sad face*).

I got this recipe from one of those restaurant secret books. It’s supposed to taste like IHOP’s French toast. I can’t vouch for its authenticity though. Why? Because I have only ever been to IHOP once and I sadly did not order the French toast. I ordered those healthy oat pancakes that taste like sawdust because I was trying to eat better and lose weight. They weren’t the best pancakes so I’ve been reluctant to go back. Besides, I can make my own pancakes and French toast!




Milk, eggs, vanilla, butter flour and not pictured, the bread!


Mix up the eggs, milk and flour until lumps dissolve.  If you want to make this step easier, use a mixer.  In fact I recommend the mixer (unless your Mr. Penguin is sleeping and you want to save all the lovely toast for yourself *evil laughter*)


Melt a little butter in your skillet of griddle (love the griddle!). Dipp a piece of bread into the batter and slap that baby down onto your cooking suface of choice.


After a couple of minutes flip it over and cook the other side.


Mmmm, golden perfection!


Mmmm, a pile of golden perfection dusted with powdered evil...I mean sugar!  I like mine with some warmed up maple syrup.  Yum!

Almost like IHOP French Toast From Top Secret Resturant Recipes by Todd Wilbur.

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 TBS all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
3 tsp butter
6 thick slices of French Bread
1 TBS powdered sugar

Directions:

1. Beat the eggs in a large shallow bowl.

2. Add milk, vanilla, flour and salt to the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer. Be sure all the flour is well incorporated.

3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When surface is hot add about a teaspoon of butter.

4. Dip the bread a slice at a time into the batter being sure to coat each side well. Drop the bread into the hot pan (as many as will fit at a time) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per a side or until surface is golden brown. Repeat with remaining pieces of bread.

5. Cut each piece of toast in half diagonally. Arrange six halves of the toast on two plates by neatly overlapping the slices. Sprinkle about 1/2 Tablespoon of powdered sugar over the tops of the toast slices on each plate. Serve with butter and syrup on the side.

Serves 2 (can be doubled)

No comments:

Post a Comment