Monday, March 14, 2011

Chocolate Meringue π

Happy PI Day!
 I had a hankering for something chocolate but also was bored and in need of a challenge so in honor of Pi day I decided to try make a chocolate meringue pie. I’ve never made a meringue pie before. I don’t like meringue. Mr. Penguin likes meringue though so I knew if I made this pie I’d have someone available to eat my leftover meringue. He did not eat any of my pie. My roommate Mr. Foo-foo cuddly poops had to help me eat it. Thank you roomie, you’re the best!

Not enough filling!
 Let's be clear on this, I did not like this pie. It wasn’t very chocolaty and it didn’t make enough filling or meringue to fill my pie pan. I should have realized that my pie pan was on the larger side and made a double batch, maybe even a triple batch. The comments on the recipe I found should have clued me in on this fact.  I chose this recipe because the picture posted with it made it appear to be a wonderful recipe.  That picture was a lie! Okay, it’s not really a bad recipe it just lacked something, you know, like enough stuff to fill a pan.

Not enough meringue!
I did try the meringue and I found out I like it now. I haven’t tried meringue since middle school. I guess it is a mature taste, like peas, and one that I have finally learned to appreciate. I worked with what I had and this recipe delivered. It really doesn’t have a lot of ingredients (but remember that’s because it only makes half a pie).  Here's the recipe.  You've been warned!

Chocolate Meringue Pie as seen on Allrecipes.com

 Ingredients:
  • (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. To Make Chocolate Custard: In a large saucepan or double boiler combine 1 cup of sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Mix well, and then stir in egg yolks and milk. Whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has the consistency of pudding.

3. Stir vanilla extract and butter or margarine into custard. Pour mixture into baked pie shell.

4. To Make Meringue: In a medium glass or metal bowl whip egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Spread meringue over chocolate custard, covering completely.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 6 minutes, until meringue is golden brown. Chill before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment