Friday, February 11, 2011

Crockpot Cooking: Swiss Steak

This is one of my favorite dishes that my Dad would make for us when we were growing up. I used to scrap off all the tomatoes and onions and eat the meat only. Then, my favorite part of this meal was that it was always served with mashed potatoes, now; I love how tender the meat is and the wonderful flavors of the stewed tomatoes and onions. What I don’t love is having to bubbling on my stove all day making a mess. Dad never made it in the crackpot but this is the only way I will make it. It comes out exactly like my Dad’s without the mess and worry about it burning on the stove.
I still don’t make this often but that is because my roommates just pick off the vegetation. I guess I shouldn’t complain because it leaves more sauce for me to drench my mashed potatoes in. Oh yes, it has to be served with mashed potatoes (boil ‘em, mash ‘em, put in ‘em in a stew). I like any excuse to serve mashed potatoes and this recipe is certainly a valid excuse.

Ingredients

1lb Cubed Steak
¼ c. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp veggie oil
1 tbsp seasoning salt
1 medium yellow onion sliced into rings
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes

Combine flour and seasoning salt into gallon sized ziplock baggie. Place steaks inside and shake bag to coat.

Heat oil in a skillet. When nice and hot add steak and brown on both sides

Add steak, onion, and tomatoes in a slow cooker set on low. Cook for 8 hours or until meat is tender.

My cooker cooks on the fast side because it is little so mine only took about 5 hours to get done. I then set it on warm until I was ready to eat dinner. Serve over mashed potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment