Monday, September 27, 2010

Meaty & Loafy

Lots of people don't like meatloaf. I've never understood why. It's meat, a loaf of meat that can be smothered in ketchup, slapped between two slices of bread and best of all goes awesomely with mashed potatoes. I'm not sure whats better meatloaf fresh out of the oven or cold the next day on a sandwich. I have to admit that it makes a spectacular sandwich and is one of my favorite lunches.
I also have to admit that it probably isn't the healthiest food on the planet. I've tried the healthified versions and they fail to appeal to my palate. Now everytime I make meatloaf my fiance never fails to ask if I snuck any veggies in. Apparently I wasn't quite sneaky enough last time I tried this so I decided to never defile the meat again. If you want veggies serve them on the side!

My Meatloaf Recipe


Ingredients1-1/2 lb lean Ground Beef
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sweet onion cooked in 1-tbsp butter
1 sleeve saltine crackers finely crushed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp minced garlic (I use the stuff in the jar but feel free to use fresh)
salt & pepper to taste
extra ketchup to baste loaf in
1)Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) Saute onion in butter at medium heat until soft.

3) In large bowl combine all ingredients, mix with hands (or spoon if that grosses you out) until well combined.

4) Shape into loaf in 13x9 baking dish (not a cookie sheet!)

5) Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Smother in extra ketchup when there is 20 minutes baking time remaining. This acts as a tasty glaze but BBQ sauce can be quite nice too!

Makes 16, 1/2" servings.

Number of Servings: 16

Add more ketchup and enjoy, over and over and over until gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment